Friday, June 25, 2004

Music- Reflectivity



These are just some thoughts pertaining to one of my songs.

I named it Reflectivity after I finished it. Perhaps this decision was influenced by something in my personal life. I don't know. I'm naturally a very introspective person, more so than you're average joe... I think. I don't know, I'm not you, so I have no way to measure my degree of introspection... who does? Anyhow, this song has something to do with mirrors, although I'm not quite sure what that means. Maybe it's the thick reverb, but I'm reminded of a profound philosophical experience I had with a friend of mine.

We had two large mirrors. We could angle them at various angles to create multi-sided geometric shapes within the reflections of the mirror frames. If this doesn't makes sense to you, just try it sometime. We found that if we angled the mirrors a certain way, the geometric reflections would form a circle. For fun, we placed the mirrors face to face. The reflections formed a tunnel of infinite regress. We took turns sitting between them, thus immersing ourselves within this tunnel, watching our image fall away in stepped planes untill it disappeared deep into the back of the mirror. I wondered out loud whether or not I could grab a pair of binoculars or a telescope and peer deep into the reflections to see my image "up close". My friend thought that was rediculous, but I thought about it for a second, and noticed a paradox.

The light traveling between the mirrors was in fact traveling through space AS IF the mirrors weren't even there. Of course, the actuality of what the light was doing is more complicated than that, but more specifically, the "data" of my image as it is transmitted through light was moving through space AS IF the mirrors weren't there. This produced the "Reflected Images Of Infinite Regress" (RIOIR)effect. However, the RIOIR experience as I consciously saw it was much simpler than that. My image wasn't traveling infinitely through space... "Infinite Space" was confined between two large mirrors placed face to face each other. It was an optical illusion... but it was so much more...

I told this story to another philosophy buddy of mine. I thought it was a paradox, or a riddle, but I didn't know why it was significant. He couldn't help, but told me to remember it, and I did.

I finally figured it out. The paradox, if there is one, is that paradoxes only exist in the mind of an observer. When one pops up within a theory, just take away the observer, and the paradox resolves. I think this is true for every paradox one might encounter in life. Basically, we should reflect more on how our own minds shape our understanding of the world. Maybe that's the heart of Reflectivity. But then again, I'm just speculating...

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know when people are searching for the "right answer" and as you discuss the idea or problem situation or whatever, the answer ends up being something in between. A little bit of both sides. Sometimes it even seems like the two sides are completely incompatable (sp?) yet, that is where the answer lies. A paradox. I know I'm not saying anything controversial here, but just a thought.

6:33 PM  
Blogger sourmonkey said...

Mr (or Mrs., Miss) Anonymous,
Thank you for commenting on my blog. I'm so glad we've crossed paths... sort of. I see you're point, and it is certainly worth remembering. I'm a big "communication" person... the more, the better. The whole "controversial" thing doesn't really matter to me. I just like to stir up ideological trouble every once in a while. My hope is that it inspires further communication, although I'm willing to admit that I might be wrong... occasionally. Oh well, I hope to hear from you again soon!

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you ever think that "stirring ideological trouble" instead of inviting ideology can cause a STOP in communication? It can really turn people off, make them feel stupid and defensive. To tell you the truth, I haven't seen very many people say intelligent things when they are on the defense. It's like when you always think of the right thing to say afterwards instead of in the heat of the moment. I'm not saying stirring things up ALWAYS produces the dumb effect, you might even say that it's just because the defensive player really doesn't have anything intelligent to say, that they are wrong. But from watching you I've noticed that you very often attack ideologies that are precious to people, that are the very foundations upon which they live. Perhaps those ideologies NEED to be re-examined, but saying and doing things that immediately put them on the defensive does not cause them to re-examine, it causes them to defend.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you for the honest post. I've taken note. I would leave it at that, but I feel that this would stand against the theme of your post. So, in answering your comment (as opposed to defending myself or ignoring it), I will instead honor it with a little of my own honesty. I found, however, that my response became a bit of a manifesto, and it wouldn't fit on the comment page. Please read on...

2:23 AM  
Blogger sourmonkey said...

Sorry, that was mine. The above link doesn't work for some reason, so

Let's try this

2:35 AM  
Blogger sourmonkey said...

Nope, please see "Why I Rattle the Cage"

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

12:08 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet online sale, michael kors outlet, air max, gucci outlet, louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap uggs, oakley sunglasses cheap, nike free, prada outlet, ugg outlet, tiffany and co, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, uggs, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren, ugg boots clearance, nike shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, replica watches, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, rolex watches, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louboutin, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, air max, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, uggs outlet, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses

8:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0616
ray ban sunglasses
denver broncos jerseys
76ers jerseys
air max 97
coach factory outlet
air jordan 3
michael kors outlet
canada goose jackets
ralph lauren polo
hermes birkin

8:26 PM  
Blogger  Image Editing Services said...

Great post. Your site is quite interesting and very well written. I am waiting for your next post!!!!

car photo editing

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home